Our children are growing up in a fast paced world very different from the world we grew up in. We have many great advancements and achievements to celebrate in our modern age, yet in many ways we have never been more challenged when it comes to raising our children. Today’s parents must deal with the influence of media and marketing towards children like never before. Children and parents are bombarded with commercials, advertisements, businesses, popular magazines, best-selling books, an array of toys and other products that tell us how to make our kids the brightest, the most advanced, or to give them the most opportunities. Today’s children have more material things than any other generation, yet rates of childhood depression, high school drop outs, and teen suicide are alarmingly high. Today’s children have many opportunities and many disadvantages as a result of modern life.
The modern world brings vaccines and medicines to prevent or treat deadly diseases, technologies that have revolutionized the way we live, inventions and advancements that have prolonged human life and solved some of the world’s largest mysteries. However, modern living can also be isolating, chaotic, turbulent, and unhealthy. We now have more pesticides in our food, more pollution in our water supplies, the highest obesity rates of any generation, we are further behind other industrialized nations in education, we are destroying our ozone layer, and seeing weapons of mass destruction being produced around the world. We’ve lost our since of moral duty, social conscious, and with it our character. Too many people are afraid to stand up for causes and injustices and just go along with their heads down to the status quo.
We need to take control over our own lives before we can effectively bring change in our overall communities. There is a strong need for us to take a look in the mirror and reflect on how we are living our lives. Are we raising our children to the best of our abilities or are we merely surviving parenthood? Why do parents feel the need to smother our kids with materialistic things? Why are our kids overeating? Why are the average Americans thousands of dollars in debt? Are we trying to fill a void? Are we trying to make ourselves happy by over consuming? If so, it doesn’t seem to be working. Studies have shown that compared to individuals of the Great Depression era we have so much more wealth and luxuries, yet American’s are no happier or content than they were during this impoverished time. For many of us, we’ve lost our sense of purpose. We are not living life to its fullest. We need to regain control of our lives and get back to the basics. Materialism can spoil values and happiness. At the end of our lives, most of us will not reflect back on our lives and regret not working longer hours, we will regret not building better relationships or establishing more values in which we live by. Here are some of my tips for living a fuller life:
- You are what you eat. Learn to lessen processed artificial foods in your diet and rely more on healthy whole foods that are naturally found in nature.
- Get active. Find some active things you can fit in your lifestyle and enjoy doing. If you enjoyed roller skating as a child, invest in some skates and spend a weekend on the nature trails. Take nature walks. Take up a new sport. Learn to play tennis with your spouse. Enlist family bike rides. Go hiking. Take an exercise class.
- Establish a support network. You need both friends and family. Join organized groups with people who share a common interest. You might enjoy parenting groups, religious organizations, civic groups, or community centers. Reconnect with old friends from various stages in your life. Relationships are the foundation of life. They need you to nurture them, and work at them. They don’t happen on their own.
- Don’t just spend quality time with your children, spend quantity time with them. Get on the floor and play with them. Attend and actively participate in their extracurricular activities. Know your children’s friends and where they spend their time. Be involved in their school. Read to/with your kid’s everyday.
- Gardening has numerous benefits for people of all ages, particularly for elderly and young children. It stimulates all our senses through sights, sounds, textures, and scents. It can help us connect with memories and the past. Garden as a family. Get young kids and grandparents involved whenever possible.
- Have arts and craft time daily with your kids. The biggest complaint most parents have about art is the mess. Learn to get past this. Keep a supply of crayons, markers, or paints in freezer type bags, purchase art paper or just reuse paper grocery bags. Make a time everyday to get these out and so something creative with your kids. Don’t just put them in front of the art, get involved with them. Older kids might enjoy a more detailed craft such as building wooden models, or scrap booking.
- Cook and eat together as a family. Most times you’ll end up eating more healthfully than you would if you dined out, and you’ll be forced to have some conversation as you sit at the dinner table.
- Involve kids in running errands and housecleaning when appropriate. Even toddlers can help do chores around the house such as dusting, cleaning windows or hard surfaces with non-toxic cleaners. Running errands such as taking the dog to the vet, going grocery shopping should also be viewed as educational for kids. Get them involved by helping you make a list or pick out items from the store. We also enjoy taking our son to specialty stores such as a health foods store or pet store.
- Get outside whenever possible. Bundle up and get out in cold weather, slather on sunscreen and get out in the summer, and put on your rain gear and get out in the spring and fall. Kids need outdoor play and having some of this daily is optimal. Dress for the weather and get them some fun gear such as sleds, rain boots, sand/water toys, bubbles to blow, and get outdoors. Don’t just go to parks, experiment with going on nature walks and hikes, local arboretums or community gardens, large sport fields, etc.
- Have holidays and rituals with your kids. Make these regular things they can have fun and expect on an early basis. You can not only do mainstream holidays but you can incorporate lesser known holidays such as Arbor day, Earth Day, seasonal solstices into your routine. Make a point in making the holiday’s special and fun for kids.
- Teach children to place less value on material things and play up the fun of little things. Make the first blooms of spring even more fun and exciting than getting a new toy. Instead of buying a new book, go the library each week and check out several. As soon as your child can write his/her own name, let them get their own library card. Take your kids somewhere you can feed ducks. Spend money on a membership to your local zoo or aquarium versus buying a new toy for a birthday or holiday. Remember, children learn from us–try to be conscious of how material we live our own lives.
- Do community service work with your kids. Even from a young age, kids can be involved with volunteer work and learn about the community they live in. Visit a nursing home with your toddler. Go tour the local fire station with your preschooler. Have a best used party for your older child. They can have a fun party with their friends with snacks, games and fun. On the invitation have each child bring a sack of items such as lightly used clothing, winter coats, etc. then take the items with your child and donate them to a local homeless shelter the following week. The ideas are limitless.
- Consider taking a pet into your home. Research to determine which type of pet best fits your lifestyle. Even something lower maintenance such as a hamster or goldfish can teach a child about unconditional love and the responsibility of caring for a living creature.
- Have weekly family meetings where you can discuss any issues such as vacation planning to chore work together as a family.
- Vacation as a family at least once a year. This need not be an expensive trip to Disney World–just a weekend getaway to something fun in your own state will serve a useful purpose. If possible, try to also take a vacation once a year just you and your spouse. Offer family members or friends a child swap where you take their kids for a few days and vice-versa and give yourself and your spouse a much needed break.
Indian style decor is known for its vibrant colors and multi hued textures, so opt for warm earthy tones in their brightest palettes, such as bridal reds, magenta pink and deep carmine reds. Choose textiles with authentic handcrafted embellishments that are traditional yet classic. Hand printed floral details on handloom cottons, lavish paisley pashmina throws, sequins and chikan embroidery fabrics are all wonderful choices.
This bedroom is from a traditional Haveli palace, with intricately hand carved headboards made from old Indian Doors and draped silk curtains. Although lavish and extravagant, the room is surprisingly easy to decorate. Start by adorning your bed with the handloom cotton bedcover set or the hand embroidered pacca throw. Next, add the sari table runner along the foot of the bed to add some Bollywood jazz. Finally, accent the bed with the sari accent pillow covers in multi color hues. Go for vintage beaded wall hangings which make your walls more interesting. Go for one statement piece, a large wall hanging or if you want the modernistic appeal, stagger three runners on the wall.
The rustic and earthy palette of colors in the exotic vintage table runner, the glamorous bohemian banjara table runner create visions of the far east. Go for a modern Indian ethnic vibe, contrast a clean, white base with an antique Indian Door saved from the palaces of Jaipur. The clean ivory walls create a soothing zen element highlighted with the teak arches with carvings of lotus and chakra, and the use traditional Indian fabrics in cushions, and table runners makes it looks arch-typically Indian.
Uplift the simple plain sofa with colorful patchwork cushion covers. The embroidered pillow covers and the brocade pillow covers with elephant and peacock motifs are breathtaking. Use a dining table made from old doors and rich patinas, the colors, patterns and give a old world charm. Textured walls in parchment with subtle colors amplify the unique quaint rustic woods and architectural detail.
Deep dark wood patinas come to life with vibrant embellished table runners and beautiful handcrafted artifacts. Rustic bowls and candles soften the aura and create whimsical romantic interiors.
Create an awesome centerpiece by adorning your runner with antique brass lamps and hand carved Indian vases. Statues of Hindu Gods and Goddesses handmade from brass, wood, with old silver or gold patinas look very nice in Indian styled rooms. Look for unique and rare carvings bringing in the energies of the ancient days. Ganeshas and Buddhas add immense dynamics to any Indian styled home.
Tradition and style mixed with the classic days of the Maharajas create spellbinding interiors that are so unique and filled with wonderful energies.
If you are looking for a way to spice up your nightclub or even your own house, disco light effects are the way to go. They are meant to light up your walls, ceilings and floors or any other part of your house or nightclub. Disco lighting and disco light effects are the great way to turn your house into a swinging nightclub or to change your nightclub into the hit of the town. However, those effects are a bit more modernized compared to what they were in the nineteen seventies. LED technology is the new wave of disco and it does the job wonderfully. LED lights are long-lasting and can offer off the true look of disco light effects once installed properly.
LED panels paired with DMX managed lighting is the way to bring disco light effects to your house or club. LED equalizer panels may be bought for walls, ceilings and floors. These panels are the cutting edge of lighting effect technological innovation. These LED panels can conserve on energy and provide you with state of the art lighting all in one. LED dance floors can make an entire nightclub or house need to dance into the earlier hours of the morning. Not only are these LED panels long-lasting and state-of-the-art, but they are also very affordable. If you try your LED panels with DMX lighting controls, it is easy to make a room come to life with disco light effects.
Of course, nightclubs in the nineteen seventies were not equipped with LED panels as a ceilings and walls. You would find light panels on the floor, but nowhere else. This can make the new age disco light effects one hundred percent better. These days, we are not only relying on the disco ball to make the light show. Nowadays’s nightclub lighting is driven by new technological innovation and is energy-saving. This means that there are no new payments to take care of as soon as you have your lighting system installed. This is good for proprietors and homeowners. In actual fact, LED light panels may be rented instead of bought. This is a good option for homeowners who do not need to make investments in the light panels, but only need to lease them for a party now and again. There are plenty of options for individuals who are fascinated by building their house or nightclub into a disco party with good disco light effects.
The Modern Vagabond lifestyle is made up of those born with the tendency to roam and camp rather than living in one location. There is a large segment of vagabonds who tend to travel by foot carrying their life in a back sack and there are some who participate in the RV lifestyle. Many of the foot bound vagabonds will hop in with the vagabonds who live in an RV, the ones who choose to have a motorized wagon type vehicle, and their houses are on wheels. The RV style of vagabonding is more for the collector type, vagabond families or groups, or those who prefer a more comfortable and safe slumber. Also, the RV vagabond always needs to find a source of income or trading to maintain and provide fuel for their wagon.
While many vagabonds are pensioners from their time served in the rat race (they are usually 50 years of age or older), other younger vagabonds are choosing RV travel as a way to see parts of the world while earning income using the gadget that the communication technology has to offer. An RV can have the internet, mobile phones and fax, and whatever gadget needed to get a job done. Vagabonds will usually not stop in camping sites for the reasons that, money is not needed, more choice of spots to park, for quiet and privacy, more self-sufficiency and to be nearer a specific location.
The vagabond’s RV typically has a good bed, a table and bench, and a kitchen. Vagabonds who travel in groups may have larger RVs which have bathrooms with shower, refrigerators, living areas, master bedrooms, and all. Very resourceful vagabonds can even have, satellite TV and Internet access, slide-out sections, and awnings, and either carry a small car inside it or towing it. A nice abode on wheels for any vagabonds can cost from less than $3,000 to $1,500,000 or more. However, most vagabonds, who are usually more mobile than a typical camper type, will have RVs that are more on the compact easier to “pick up and go” style.
One type of RV that a vagabond may favor, is the truck camper, a unit that is temporarily let into the bed or chassis of a pickup truck. This style has a few advantages over trailer types of RVs. For instance, there is the “pick up and go” factor, the traveler’s house is always ready to go without a hitch with the turn of a key, and the maneuverability cannot be matched. Where ever the towing vehicle goes, the house goes to, the same can be said about the Class ABC RV. These types are converted buses, vans, trucks into a RV, usually called motor homes. The big disadvantage is that, the vagabond’s house is also the vagabond’s horse, which is kind of a strange thought. With the truck camper RV style, the vagabond has a vehicle which can be utilized for other purposes, and a house that can be temporally left behind if needed.
The truck camper RV requires a good pickup truck. Choosing a pickup truck for a camper will depend on the amount in weight the vagabond will need to carry. For the vagabond who chooses to travel alone, a smaller camper can be used with a 1/2 ton pickup truck. If there are more vagabonds using the same camper, then a bigger truck is required, like a 3/4 ton or even a 1 ton truck can be used. The bigger campers can be as long as 12 feet long and will usually accommodate 4 to 6 vagabonds.
The craftier vagabond will design and build their own RVs out of cars, vans, buses, or whatever they can find to fit their needs. This is probably the most economical for a vagabond to acquire an RV for traveling, but it requires some mechanical skills and traveling time can be significantly reduced during the building stage of the RV.
With all the different office partitions on the market, it can be hard to make a thought out and reasoned decision when choosing which ones are best suited to your workplace. Once you have decided on the kind of partitions you would like to use, you’re met with even more choices in colour and texture. Frosted glass office partitions are just one of the types available, and they come with many benefits:
If you have always loved the look of glass office partitions but just wished they were a little more interesting, the frosted look is a great option for you. Once the frosting has been applied to the surface, the glass takes on an etched or sand blasted appearance (which can be expensive and difficult to maintain).
Regardless of the area that your frosted glass office partitions are used, they will be able to withstand the general wear and tear of every day use. The frosted film that is applied to the glass’s surface will not shrink, curl or bubble due to heat, cold or even water. Accidental breaking of your partitions is also no problem when it comes to frosted glass, as the film will simply hold all the shards in place until you can get it repaired or replaced. This makes the partitions a highly safe option for your workplace.
Even though they may not look it, frosted glass office partitions are amazingly easy to maintain. They are quick and easy to clean – the front just as you would clean glass windows and the back just needs a quick wipe with a damp cloth – and water has no affect on the film. It is also possible to remove the film without it tearing of leaving a glue-y residue on the surface of your partitions.
A lot of people are put off installing glass office partitions because they put employees in full view of everyone else. However, opting for frosted glass partitions will still allow the maximum sunlight penetration that you want from glass, as well as the privacy that your employees want from their workspaces.
Frosted glass office partitions are fortunate enough to suit almost every style and décor that could be found in your workplace. Whether your office is leaning towards the old and outdated or has just been renovating with the most up to date fittings, frosted glass partitions will be able to really tie the look together. It is also possible to have the frosting precut with designs, logos and signs, helping to add that extra creative flair to your workplace.
There is something that is both rustic and charming about a stone house. The stone has an elegant appeal that simply says “luxurious”. Aside from the aesthetic appeal of the way that this material looks as it sits gracefully by a pool, it can also provide a wealth of other benefits that may make homeowners reconsider what material they would like to make their new home out of.
While there are a variety of cheap materials available to build a new home, this one has the potential to be free. Material to build one of these houses can be picked up for free as most laws do not prohibit getting bolders from construction sites, and most construction workers will simply let individuals have them and be happy that they are out of the way.
Individuals that are interested in building their own home may be turned off at the simple thought of first but, contrary to popular belief, it is actually quite easy to build a home out of stone. There are several online tutorials available at no cost, and books can be purchased at affordable prices.
A stone house is one of the most environmentally friendly structures there is. Instead of ripping down rain forests to get the perfect wood or somehow harming the environment, this material is simply relocated to the structure. It does not cause a disruption in the surrounding wildlife, and does not cause additional harm to the eco-system.
Easy Temperature Control
This material may have a reputation for being colder, but that is simply not true. Buildings made out of this material are known for keeping cool in addition to keeping the heat inside. Whatever temperature the residents would like for it to be can easily be maintained due to the wonderful properties of this material. The sealed cracked in between the large rocks help prevent air from escaping, keeping the hot air inside and the cold air outside during cooler months.
Because a stone house helps to save on energy costs, it is environmentally friendly in more ways than just the material that is used to build it.
Buildings made out of this have a certain appeal to them that other buildings simply do not. The way that the rocks fit together reminds many individuals of older castles and structures, giving it a rustic appeal, yet this same look can complement a modern theme perfectly. This versatile style remains timeless yet classic at the same time.
These structures are some of the most durable that there are. Before the use of modern materials, ancient civilizations used this material to build all of their structures, some of which are still standing. For example, take a look at the Egyptian pyramids, which are made of this. These structures can stand tall and strong against harsh winds that will make other buildings bend. It can remain standing during storms, and is fire proof. When buildings nearby are ablaze, homeowners will not have to concern themselves about their building catching on fire.
These houses are now beginning to come back into style as more homeowners realize all of the benefits that come with them. Newer homeowners are taking the plunge and building their own homes due to how cost effective these types of structures are, and how easy they are to build. Once the home is completed, homeowners will continue to save money on heating and cooling costs, in addition to the potential damages that can be caused by a fire.
These aesthetically appealing homes are the most durable that there are, making this timeless look pop up again all over the world.
It is really simple to learn how to sew eyelet curtains, and use it to beautify your house. Eyelet curtain is a curtain that is hung using small eyelets, and the eyelets are big enough to thread through a rod which will hold the curtains in place. Curtains are not just a tool which is used to hang in your house, to screen out the sun rays or to provide you with some privacy, it is also used to style and modernize your house. You can easily create the look and atmosphere you want with the use of curtains.
The first step to learning how to sew eyelet curtains is to get the supplies and cloth ready. Of course, you will need eyelets, which are small metal rings that you can punch on the curtains. Next, you will have to mark the measurements correctly, and space out the eyelets evenly to make sure that the curtain will hang and draw smoothly.
Last, you will have to punch the eyelets into the curtain, usually you can get the eyelet kit which has a special tool to help you finish the job and make your beautiful curtain. These are the simple steps to know how to sew eyelet curtains, and you can now hang them and enjoy them.
In addition, you can choose different materials to make your curtain to suit different weather temperature. During the colder seasons, you can use a thicker material as your curtain and prevent the cold winds from blowing into your house. On the other hand, for the warmer summer, you can use a thin and sheer material. Now that you know how to sew eyelet curtains, you will be able to make curtains of different designs.
The fact that so much time is spent in this space is why it has become so important to home owners and buyers worldwide. With a great kitchen, a home is more marketable. A huge part of a kitchen’s overall feel is the kitchen cabinets type. Explore the latest and most sought-after styles before building or remodeling.
As one of the latest and most popular trends, using slab-style, wood veneer cabinets is one that shouldn’t be missed. These kitchen cabinets easily add warmth and depth to any kitchen that wants a modern feel. This style began in Europe and has been a hit in the United States since around 2014. The building trend to products that are natural and bring a feel of nature inside is one reason that veneer kitchen cabinets are preferred by so many. The wood grains are shown in a beautiful way, and patterns are adored by nature-lovers.
As long as a reputable dealer is utilized, buyers will get great veneer kitchen cabinets. Some are built poorly and laminate will chip and peel over time. No one wants to have to replace them too soon, so be aware of who is being dealt with.
Searching for kitchen cabinets that are modern and sleek? Much like their appliance counterparts, stainless steel kitchen cabinets are perfect for any type of décor from modern to traditional. Homeowners may be surprised at how a contemporary piece fits in with their existing style.
For a space that’s stylish, high-end and eye-catching one can’t go wrong with stainless. Of course, the downside is the inevitable fingerprints to be wiped off daily, and true stainless steel is prone to scratches. However, there are new stainless materials that are made to be prone to these downfalls, so by doing some research one may find the perfect choice with the look they crave.
They are environmentally friendly, sanitary, simple to clean and highly durable. They can also be pricey so it’s advised to check into manufactured options that have a steel layer over the top if the budget it tight for kitchen cabinets.
Lacquered kitchen cabinets feature several layers of shiny, stunning lacquer in many rich colors. They are finished off with a polish and wax and are very scratch-resistant and durable when made well. The only downfall to this choice is that the cabinets can chip. So in homes with small children these kitchen cabinets may not work out well.
However, for anyone willing to take the risk they’ll enjoy a highly modern-looking kitchen. The color options are endless as well, so whatever they are dreaming of they can have it! As far as cleaning, there are several products on the market, and it’s recommended that the homeowner choose one that’s preferred by the manufacturer. This is because even though some say they are okay for all lacquered surfaces they will still harm the finish of the kitchen cabinets.
Kitchen Cabinets with Floating Shelves
For a truly modern design with super clean lines, consider floating shelves. What this entails is having the outer “shell” of the cabinet removed and simply having shelves.
Floating shelves will easily add straight lines that look stunning with any other décor in the contemporary realm. Many homeowners love this on the upper part of the kitchen, and then pair them with enclosed kitchen cabinets on the lower part. Not every pair of tongs and dish should be displayed so this gives them a place to hide those things.
Choose a stunning backslash with wood floating shelves, such as ceramic tiles or glass. For anyone who is extremely organized and willing to tackle a regular cleaning, floating shelves are perfect. If it’s difficult to stay in order, this may not be the best option.
These are just a few of the newest options for a modern kitchen as far as cabinetry. Visiting a local showroom will help anyone decide what they love best.
Bathroom can become one of the trickiest areas of your home to decorate. The good thing is that there are so many bath decor magazines which full of bathroom decor pictures and ideas for you to draw influence from. At this time, this article is going to deliver some information that will guide you in finding bathroom decor ideas. So, just take a look at the following information below.
The first thing that you should do is to determine about the style you are looking for. For your consideration, you can take a look at a country bath decor theme or the nautical bath decor theme. Actually, a good way to look at different ideas is to pick up a few Bath Decor magazines from the local book store. One of the most favorite magazines that you can take a look is Bathroom Trends. It will help you to find the idea to choose decor for your bathroom.
The second thing is to visit a few bath decor show rooms. These places commonly have full bathroom sets that built in many different styles and fashions. You will find some great ideas of bath decorating or maybe a complete bathroom design that you like. Most of the time, many people like to mix a variety of bathroom remodeling design ideas together in order to form their ideal bathroom.
The third thing is to go back to your bathroom at home and then try to picture the bathroom space decorated as you imagined. You should know that what looks good in other people’s bathroom does not end up looking good in the space that you have to work with. The size can play an important role as well as sunlight. Therefore, you have to make sure that the bath decor style you have chosen will blend well with the space available in your bathroom.
The fourth thing is to consult with a professional interior designer. If you have enough budgets, a professional bath decor expert can be well worth it. He can often bring many new ideas to the table which you might have never thought of. The interior decorators also may also have a large collection of the bathroom photos and the color samples for you to look at. The experience of interior decorators that working with wholesales can also make it easier to obtain the materials that you need to complete your project.
Traditionally, you have you house, a small lawn by the street; that’s the picture most people depict of a home. But what people are realizing now is that they can make their house visually appealing in a far greater way. It doesn’t always have to a bland stereotypical design; you have several options in hand. Landscaping for instance, is an excellent way to escalate the aesthetic appeal of your house without spending a huge amount of money.
So what is landscaping?
Landscaping can be defined in several ways. In simple terms, you can also refer to a gardening whereby you can grow plants and vegetable with the aim of creating a soothing environment within a certain landscape. But it doesn’t end there. This process also includes change of terrain and construction of new infrastructure. It’s also not a modern concept as it’s been going on since the time of early Mayans.
Here are a few ideas which you can use to really elevate the look of your house
- Plant lots of flowers at the front: If you want your guests to enter your house with a pleasant feeling, you might want to try growing some flowers right at the entrance. Also, if possible low fence your house. This will give you ample space for placing your flower pots
- Decorate the driveway: If you have a long driveway that looks a bit out of sorts, you can cover them up with bushes. Don’t plant bushes of the same color and type. You should always use a variety of colors along with plants of medium sizes. This will act as a nice decoration in your driveway.
- Use lilies: Whether its spring, summer or fall; lilies can grow in any climate which is why you should always use them in your gardens. Due to its fragrant smell, your house will always have that soothing aroma in the air.
- Hide unnecessary places: If you have a garage or a tool shed which you don’t want others to take notice of due to its bland design, use it to display an exotic collection of plants. Use lighting to make it more attractive.
- Cut the grass evenly: If you have a land adjacent to your house that has a lot of grass in it, get the mower and start chopping it down immediately until the grass length is even. This will give a carpet type feeling over the grass.
So these are a few suggestions which you can use to make your house worth noticing. Feel free to use your creative mind and churn out a few ideas of your own.